Why Hellooooooo There,
Welcome to my little part of the blogosphere… Thank you for spending your precious time reading through my sometimes most random mind doodles.
I’m guessing if you’re on this page, you want to know a little bit more about me, well. Let me see.. If you google me you might find places describing me as “A Multi Award Winning Makeup Artist specialising in Film & TV Makeup, SFX, Beauty and more”. You might have seen me on TV, online or in a magazine interview..but If you ask me who I am, i’d tell you that Firstly, i’m a Mother & a Wife who also happens to be a Beauty Junkie obsessed Blood and Gore, Hello Kitty, My Little Pony, great Cappuccinos and Proper Cups of Tea.
I’ve been in the industry for over 25 years and i’m truly honoured to have won several awards along the way including the AMVCA 2015 for Best Makeup Artist (October 1st Movie). What you may not know is that i’m not only a Makeup Artist Extraordinaire; I’m a Lash & Brow Expert, Beauty Therapist, Holistic Massage Therapist, SFX Prosthetics Technician and I also hold UK certification as an Adult Further Education Teacher. Can you imagine that lil old me, a University Dropout, was invited to be a member at the Royal College of Medicine in London!? Mama I made it! Lol
Without wanting to bore you with all the details.. especially as It’s been printed lots of time; people ask me to lay out my life story, it’s kind of one of the pre-requesites in most interviews, lol I guess I have to go through it again here for you in my own words as that’s kind of what an “About Me” page is supposed to have. Now where do I start. At the beginning right..
I started working when I was 14. Freelancing for years with major cosmetics companies until taking the role as makeup artist with the original team to launch Iman at their flagship counter in Selfridges, London in 1997. (What an ICON!)
My first company in the UK and Nigeria was called Sacred. It covered the entire range of the makeup world including Fashion, Editorial, Catwalk, Studio Photographic, Film & TV, Music Videos and Weddings and full Beauty Services. Myself and my husband the amazing Mr Okojevoh launched my first product “Sacred Lashes” in 2010. I’m proud to say it was the first Nigerian Owned Lash Brand and within a year it grew into a full retail store and training academy.
In 2015 The SFX Store was born. I had a dream to create the first dedicated online Film & TV makeup store in Nigeria and deliver to Africa as a whole. I felt that it was really important to help the industry grow; where budding artists and veterans had a place that they knew they could find products at a reasonable price and a fellow African who didn’t mind shipping to places alot of international stores wouldn’t. If we don’t have it then we can order it in. That’s our motto!
As a brand, I have now personally evolved into The Beauty Insider (A wholly owned subsidary of The Beauty Collective Africa Limited in Nigeria, while I still work under my registered name “Lola Maja” in the UK). I have a new focus on education, providing seminars and creating online content. My passion is to teach not just Professional Makeup Artists, SFX Professionals and Beauty Therapists but also the every day woman, how to look good and feel good about themselves by sharing my “Insider” knowledge along with expert tips and tricks.
Thank you for sharing my journey with me. Feel free to reach out for any advice, enquiries and requests.
My Beauty/Artistry CV
- 1998 – Nail Jobs; – Natural Nail Care & Artificial Nail Extensions
- 2006: London College of Beauty Therapy; – NVQ Level 2 Beauty Therapy
- 2007: Xtreme Lashes US; – Advanced Semi Permanent Lash Extension Technician
- 2008: St Mary’s University; – ITEC Level 4 Holistic Massage & Sports Therapy
- 2012: MKLC UK; – PTLLS (Level 3 Award in Education & Training)
- 2013: LPM School; – SFX & Prosthetics Makeup
- 2018: Pinewood Studios;- FX & Prosthetics Talent Lab
- The CEO (hair department head) / (makeup department head).
- 93 Days (special makeup effects artist)
- Fifty (hair department head) / (makeup department head)
- Shuga (TV Mini-Series) (hair department head – 14 episodes, 2013 – 2015) (makeup designer – 8 episodes, 2013) (makeup department head – 6 episodes, 2015)
- October 1 (hair department head) / (makeup department head)
- Render to Caesar (makeup department head)
- Flower Girl (hair department head) / (makeup department head)
- Turning Point (department head hair) / (makeup department head)
- The Figurine (hair department head) / (makeup department head)